Fund licensing is meant to assist business employers within the brand licensing sector that are struggling during the pandemic.
Fund licensing management activities in Singapore are regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) under the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289) (SFA).
In order to manage an investment, a fund manager license is required in Singapore. The fund managers planning to market a fund will need to obtain a Capital Markets Services (CMS) License from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) under the Securities and Futures Act (Chapter 289) (SFA). A minimum capital requirement must be met to qualify for the CMS License.
Those who want to open a corporation in Singapore and apply for a fund manager license must also register with the Monetary Authority within the city-state (MAS) and must comply with a few requirements
In order to apply for the fund manager license in case of a fund management company in Singapore, a local or a foreign investor must register a company with ACRA under the following conditions:
- the company must have a minimum of 2 directors with at least 5 years of experience in the financial industry;
- at least one of the directors must be a Singapore citizen or resident and must be appointed as an executive director;
- the minimum share capital for obtaining the fund manager license is 250,000 SGD;
- the documents required for registration are the same as for any other type of company in Singapore;
- the fund management company must have a permanent head office in Singapore;
- different criteria can apply, based on the number of investors the Singapore company will service
The requirements mentioned above apply to fund management companies servicing a maximum number of 30 investors and managing assets with a worth of maximum 250 million SGD.
Special requirements apply when seeking to get a fund manager license with the aim of administering assets with a value of more than 250 million SGD. The Singapore company formation requirements in this case are a minimum of 3 directors, out of which 2 must reside or relocate to Singapore, and a share capital which can go up to 1 million SGD.
How Bluebox can Help?
To grow beyond their home markets, companies need to manage regulatory risks, overcome cultural differences and provide competitive advantages.
With more rigorous regulations and local enforcement, Bluebox Global can help clients manage increasingly rigorous regulations with a practical focus. We have a multidisciplinary approach to our legal work, with colleagues in tax, consulting, finance, and risk management, as well as professionals focused on certain sectors and industries. Bluebox Global works cross-functionally to provide its clients with a holistic perspective.
In addition, we understand the resource constraints placed on your business by commercial litigation, when it is unavoidable. So, when planning your legal strategy with us, we focus on the business case: the financial consequences of litigation in the context of your commercial objectives; and, where appropriate, we stress the efficiency of alternative dispute resolution, such as arbitration or mediation.
How Bluebox Global can help you?
The legal services that we offer are for the application of rules, laws, and regulations in Singapore and global markets.
We provide support to clients in the following areas:
- Commercial Advisory
- Commercial Contracts
- Full-Scale Pre-Insolvency Solutions
- Transfer Pricing Documentation, Intra-Group Contracting
- Agency disputes & Partnership disputes